Sunday, October 7, 2007

8 items or less

I went to the grocery store this afternoon to get the ingredients to make lasagne. (I make a delicious lasagne if I do say so myself.) I timed my outing specifically to end up at the store when most people would be home stuffing themselves with turkey. It was busier than I expected but not so bad.

I gathered the things I needed and proceeded to the 8 items or less line. Not surprisingly, the person in front of me had a cart full of stuff. This drives me crazy. I can look the other way when there are 9 items or even 11 items (I don't much like that either but I'm not going to lose sleep over it) but a full cart is unacceptable.

Now here's the problem. The cashier will never say anything to the person with the excess items so it is left up to the people standing behind to say something. Even when you do say something about it, the cashier will never back you up and tell the person to go to another line. Invariably the person who is going through with half a cart doesn't give a s**t in the first place so saying something serves no purpose other than pissing them off. It's a no-win situation.

I actually saw two people get into a fist fight because of this and the police had to be called. A guy was going through with a cart overflowing with food just before a long weekend. When the guy behind him said something, he got punched. Delightful.

Why have them in the first place? If no one is going to enforce the rule, what's the point? They only provide false hope to those of us who have a few items.

SunnyShine

No comments: