Monday, September 3, 2007

inane chatter is never interesting

Well, I've left SunnyShine alone, holding down the fort for the last couple of days (sorry, SunnyShine!). I was off at my parents' cottage for the long weekend, spending some quality time with the folks. This was perhaps overkill after the last weekend with my sister.

But I'll get to my point. I made one really interesting observation over the last two weekends: people who live with other people can drive someone who lives alone insane. Really. I've lived alone for so long that I've forgotten what it's like to have someone else in your space beyond a quick visit.

Forget the wrongly-squeezed toothpaste, toast sweat on the counter, and someone else's hair stuck in the drain. What's most annoying about people who live with other people is the endless chatter. When I come home to the place I live in by myself, I can safely say that there will be no spoken running commentary about the mundane bits of my life. However, put someone who lives with someone else in the picture and suddenly there's a lot of "Well, I think I'll have these crackers with peanut butter" and "This floss is really getting stuck in my teeth tonight" and "My nose sure is running today."

Please stop talking. Stop.


RainyBow

____________________

SunnyShine note: So so annoying. I especially hate the non-stop talk just after I have woken up. SHUT UP. Don't ask me how I slept or what I want to do each hour of the day. I'm sure if I slept badly, it will come out in conversation later. Also, don't talk to me when I'm reading, listening to music, watching a movie, meditating etc. People must just feel uncomfortable with quiet. I think it's one the of the greatest pleasures around. Give me silence any time.

No comments: