Wednesday, August 22, 2007

wrongdoing may be virtuous-?!

Today I was a crazy old person and sent a letter to Wing's Food Products complaining about their fortune cookies (which, by the way, I get for free). I do this now and then when I feel like ranting. I'm sure the person on the other end appreciates the sentiment! Have a read...

Dear Sir/ Madam,

The cafeteria at my workplace has begun serving your fortune cookies along with Asian-style meals at lunch. I’m always excited to get one because I find your cookies quite tasty and, like most people, I generally find the fortunes quite amusing.

However, of late, while the quality of the cookies has remained the same, I have been distressed by the fortunes I have been receiving. According to the American Heritage Dictionary, “fortune” means a foretelling of one’s destiny. As such, I believe a fortune should read something like:

- A financial investment will yield returns beyond your wildest hopes.

or

- An influential figure will make mention of you in a positive light.

The last two fortunes I have received Monday and today have been of a quite different nature. They are:

- A smile is the universal communication between two people.

and

- For a good cause, wrongdoing may be virtuous.

The first of these is merely a statement (which, by the way, I believe to be factually incorrect. Perhaps you should read Angus Trumble’s
A Brief History of the Smile. But that is a whole other story.). The second seems to be an incitement to violence. Both of these, although particularly the second, left me not giggling, as fortunes should, but mildly disturbed.

I am writing to suggest that you reassess the fortunes in Wing’s cookies. It shouldn’t be hard to return to the “tall, dark, handsome stranger” variety, and away from “please go hurt other people and it will be OK” messages.

Thank you for your consideration.


RainyBow

________________________


SunnyShine note: Ummmm. Did you really write them a letter? Clearly you don't have enough to do. I would, however, keep that last fortune to use as evidence when the time comes.

________________________


RainyBow note: Yup. Can you imagine the poor, confused people at Wing's? Can't wait to see if they write back. If I'm feeling a bit frisky tomorrow, I may start sending them a daily fortune suggestion. Just for fun....



No comments: