Monday, August 27, 2007

napping and eating and eating and napping?!

After a weekend of canoeing and entertaining my sister, I was pretty beat tonight. But I was also hungry, and after five long weeks of having no kitchen (finally functional at the end of last week!) it's a pretty safe bet to assume that when I'm hungry, I go out for food. So I went out to the neighbourhood sketchy Ethiopian restaurant (with the interesting smells emerging from the second floor, as always) for dinner.

My friend and I sat next to a group of four fascinating Asian kids. Like most Asian kids their age, they were dressed in all kind of strange clothing combinations. But that's not the part that got me interested. You see, when I was so tired I thought I might drift off while waiting for our food, one of the four actually did. Yes, after ordering, while the group was in the midst of animated conversation, one put her head against the wall and fell asleep. The other three continued talking, as if nothing had happened. Then, when their food came, she woke up and ate with the others and their conversation continued.

I lost interest for a while (I generally don't have a lot of staying power to start with, but then our food came and my stomach commandeered my brain) and the next time I looked back, the situation had become even more interesting. A different one of the four had put his head against the wall and also fallen asleep. The other three continued talking and eating as if nothing had happened, yet again.

Who are these people who go out for food with friends and take random naps? And while we're on the topic, did you know that one to three percent of the population supposedly suffers from Nocturnal Sleep-Related Eating Disorder (NS-RED), which means they roam around and eat while seeming to be sound asleep? Perhaps the next time I'm both hungry and exhausted, I should consider my options more carefully....


RainyBow

______________________

SunnyShine note: I normally wait until I've eaten to fall asleep; I find it much more practical. I generally refer to this as 'ethnic eating disorder'.



No comments: