Saturday, August 25, 2007

is this the best way to honour the fallen

Highway of Heroes? Couldn't they have come up with a better name? So fromage. I'm not sure how I feel about this whole subject. I think I'm against. Wouldn't time be better spent trying to get these people out of the situation in the first place? Here are some fatality stats about Afghanistan and Iraq. Enjoy. Funny no one ever mentions the number of Afghan or Iraqi dead. I bet Bush can't count that high.


SunnyShine

__________________

RainyBow note: There is so much to say on this topic, but I'm going to limit myself to one rant, which is on the use of the word "heroes" these days. Remember after September 11th when everyone lamented the horrible fate of the people who were trapped inside the World Trade Centre? Clearly I'm not going to begrudge the American people their right to mourn the victims of that terrible day. However, it makes me crazy that so many Americans keep referring to the victims as "heroes." The last time I checked, "hero" meant a person notable for feats of courage. While these people died a tragic death, it's not like they chose to. I doubt any one of them said to him or herself, "hey, I think some terrorists might fly into these buildings today and make them burn and collapse, and just because I'm brave, I'm going to go inside of them and die if I have to."

__________________

SunnyShine note: Your comment is further evidence that we may have been separated at birth. I was going to write a post about the exact same thing. The word 'hero' is so diluted that is practically has no meaning any more. When was the last time you heard about a true hero? These days, you just have to show up and you're a hero. sigh.


No comments: