Wednesday, February 20, 2008

speaking of (non) long weekends....

I don't know how it works in the States, but here, every time there is a long weekend, the gas price jumps by about 5c/L. I have a big problem with this because of the BS reason they always give. 'The price of oil has increased and we have to raise prices so we don't lose money.' Oh yes, the price always increases to coincide with the start of a long weekend and then magically decreases afterward. Do they think we're stupid? Why can't they just come out and say: 'Hey, it's the long weekend and we know you're probably going to drive somewhere for the weekend so we're going to raise prices to take advantage of you, and there's nothing you can do about it. Enjoy your long weekend.'

Seems weird, but this would make me feel better. It would still suck for sure but at least I wouldn't feel like someone was trying to snow me. As we all know, an increase in the price of oil today wouldn't really affect gas prices for months; that gas is going into the reserves and will be used way down the road. Also, the oil companies aren't exactly hurting for cash. Here are some fourth quarter net earnings for you....

Imperial Oil - $886M
PetroCan - $522M
Royal Dutch Shell - $6.6B
Exxon - $11.6B

Here's Halliburton too in case you were wondering (you probably weren't but I feel you should know anyway) - $4.2B. Also, their press release is good reading. Who knew there were favourable tax impacts and foreign tax credits available to them? hmmm.

Here I go, totally off topic again. Anyway, back to the original subject.....

Point is, the gas companies are cleaning up. Yes, I know I choose to drive and have to pay for that luxury, but they could really own up to their price gouging.

Sunny

5 comments:

The CDM said...

Aren't no bid contracts great?

Anonymous said...

This is way off topic, but from the get go I knew I knew where your location was. I am not a stalker, so don't worry. I just like to know that I am right. Yay for you instincts!

Anonymous said...

I noticed the gas price went up there like in about 2 seconds. Last night I was driving home and passed a gas station. The cheap stuff was 3.05! Just the day before it was under 3.00. Blah.

The CDM said...

Ever notice how gas goes up .05 to .25 in a day, but it ALWAYS takes the slow ride down?

complain away said...

Oh how I love an anonymous stalker. Takes the fun out of it when you know who you're looking for. lol.

CDM: does it go down??

Sunny